A to Z of Government of Yukon style

The A to Z of Government of Yukon style covers style, spelling and grammar conventions for all content published on Government of Yukon websites, arranged alphabetically:

  • You can browse the styles by choosing a specific topic from the list below, for example: Abbreviations and acronyms.
  • You can also search for a style by pressing Ctrl+f on your keyboard if you’re using a PC or ⌘+f if you’re using a Mac. This will open a small window that will allow you to search the list by typing the word or search term you're after.

At Government of Yukon we base our style on existing reference books as much as possible. If you can’t find what you need on this site, take a look at these books:

  • Abbreviations and acronyms

    Avoid using abbreviations and acronyms if you possibly can. Don’t use them in public information materials. Your readers don’t want to keep having to check what an acronym stands for, plus capital letters are always harder to read.

    The exceptions are acronyms that have become part of the culture, such as the RCMP, CBC, MLA.

    Write provinces and territories in full if you can. If you do use abbreviations, don’t use periods.

    Not: N.W.T., B.C., P.E.I.
    But: the NWT, BC, PEI

    Rather than use an acronym for a department or branch, use the name in full, such as “the Yukon Mineral Exploration Program” or “Health and Social Services” and then after that just write “the program” or “the department”.

    If you feel you must use an acronym, make sure you write the name in full first and then immediately write the acronym in brackets afterwards. For example, “the Communications Review Committee (CRC)…” If you find you need to use several acronyms, include them in a glossary and put the glossary at the beginning of your document, not at the end. Make it as easy as possible for your readers to understand what you have written.

  • Aboriginal Peoples

    See Indigenous Peoples

  • Acts and regulations

    Once an act has been assented to or a regulation has been passed, write the name in full and put it in italics. If the act or regulation has been passed but not yet proclaimed, still use italics.

    Not: the Motor Vehicles Regulation has been passed
    But: the Motor Vehicles Regulation has been passed

    Only put acts and regulations in italics once they have been passed.

    Once you’ve used the full name of the act or regulation, you can just refer to it as “the Act” or “the Regulation.”

    Use uppercase when you’re referring to a specific act (“Act”) or regulation (“Regulation”). If you’re referring to acts and regulations in a general way, use lowercase (“act”, “regulation”).

    As new regulations are being drafted, our style is to use the singular, so when you’re referring to a new regulation, use the singular, not the plural. However, if you are citing an existing regulation and it uses the plural, use the plural. Email at legalservices@gov.yk.ca. They can help you if you need guidance.

    Not: Regulations
    But: Regulation

    Until an act has been passed, it should be referred to as a bill.

    Not: the Archives and Public Records Management Act
    But: the Archives and Public Records Management Bill

    If an act has yet to be passed but for some reason you need to refer to it as an act rather than a bill, don’t write it in italics.

    Not: The Government of Yukon is committed to creating a Cupcake Act soon.
    But: The Government of Yukon is committed to creating a Cupcake Act soon.

    Use uppercase, not lowercase, when you are referring to a specific act, regulation or bill, or a schedule in an act.

    Not: act, regulation, bill, schedule
    But: Act, Regulation, Bill, Schedule

    Use lowercase, however, when you’re writing about acts and regulations generally.

    Whenever a minister’s quotation, for example in a news release, refers to an act or to a regulation, write the name in full.

    Don’t italicize act acronyms. Only use an acronym for an act if your audience will know what it means.

    Not: YESAA
    But: YESAA

    If you want to refer to a bill formally, write:

    the Bill: An Act to Amend the Cupcake Act

    Check you’re using the correct name of the act you’re referring to. Many act and regulation names, for example, don’t have “Yukon” in them. If it does, it’s because it relates to something that has Yukon in its name, such as Yukon College or Yukon Development Corporation. View the listing of all Government of Yukon Acts and Regulations.

    Not: Yukon Agricultural Products Act
    But: Yukon’s Agricultural Products Act, the Yukon Agricultural Products Act


    In Yukon, when we refer to (or “cite”) legislation in legal documents, we cite statutes as statutes of Yukon (SY) with the year, followed by the chapter number. For example, SY 2016, c.8. Statutes from the 2002 revision follow the same formula but with RSY 2002. Citations in acts do not include act names. When we cite a regulation, we use its Order-in-Council number.

  • Addresses

    Follow Canada Post's guidelines.

    Government of Yukon
    Main Administration Building
    2071 Second Avenue
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 1B2

  • And (ampersand)

    Not: &
    But: and

  • Appendices

    Use appendix sections (appendices) for more detailed information that may be needed by some readers but which would interrupt the flow for most readers.

  • Bills

    See acts and regulations.

  • Boards and committees

    We treat boards and committees as proper nouns so they should be capitalized.

    Not: Accessibility Advisory committee, Mayo Housing Advisory board
    But: Accessibility Advisory Committee, Mayo Housing Advisory Board

    Once you have used the full name, avoid then referring to the board or committee by its acronym. Instead, just write “the board” or “the committee.”

  • Branch

    See unit, branch, division.

  • Bullet point lists

    We follow the Plain English Campaign’s guidance when we format bullet point lists. There are two main types of lists.

    • A list that is a continuous sentence with several points picked out.
    • A list of separate points with an introductory statement.

    With a list that’s part of a continuous sentence, put semicolons (;) after each point and start each point with a lowercase letter. Make sure each point follows logically and grammatically from the introduction.

    Jean needed to take:

    • A penknife;
    • some string;
    • a pad of paper; and
    • a pen.

    Here’s an example of a list where each point is separate and not part of one continuous sentence.

    Jean needed to take the following.

    • A penknife.
    • Some string.
    • A pad of paper.
    • A blue pen.

    Here’s an example of a longer list which is a continuous sentence.

    The territories continue to work together on a number of fronts, including:

    • monitoring our shared renewable resources, such as caribou and polar bears;
    • researching the cumulative effects of development projects on the environment and wildlife species;
    • researching the effects of climate change on permafrost;
    • collaborating on social issues; and
    • speaking with a common voice about the infrastructure needs of the North.

    Here’s an example of a longer list where the points are complete, which means there doesn’t need to be a colon to introduce the list.

    Recent changes in the North include the following.

    • The Northwest Territories has negotiated a devolution agreement with the federal government to take on responsibilities related to land and water, similar to that in Yukon.
    • Canada’s term as Arctic Council chair has brought international partners and projects to the nation’s northern regions, enhancing our relationships and profile across the circumpolar world, as well as with non-Arctic states.
    • The federal government’s Statement on Canada’s Arctic Foreign Policy delineates many issues in common with the territories, including promoting economic and social development, protecting the Arctic environment and empowering the people of the North through devolution of political power.

    It’s often better to use bullet points rather than numbers or letters in a list, as bullet points draw your attention to each point without giving you extra information to take in.

  • Cabinet

    Not: cabinet, cabinet submission, Cabinet Submission
    But: Cabinet, Cabinet submission

  • Capital letters (case)

    Put nouns in lowercase as much as possible because this makes text easier to read. Exceptions include proper nouns (that is, a specific person, place or thing).

    Also see spellings and Indigenous People

  • Commas

    When listing items in a series, don’t put a comma before the “and.”

    Not: There were seniors, Elders, and committee members at the meeting.
    But: There were seniors, Elders and committee members at the meeting.

    Sometimes, however, we write lists where one of the items in the list has an “and” in it, such as “Health and Social Services” in this list:

    The departments of Economic Development, Health and Social Services and Community Services

    In such cases, it might be clearer for the reader if you add a comma before the final “and.” (This is called a serial comma or an Oxford comma. We do not follow this style as a rule, only when it’s necessary for clarity.)

    Not: Economic Development, Health and Social Services and Community Services all took part in the project.
    But: Economic Development, Health and Social Services, and Community Services all took part in the project.

  • Commitments

    When you write about government commitments, don’t refer to them as platform commitments. Once the government is elected they are the government so their commitments then become government priorities.

    Not: platform commitments
    But: government priorities

  • Consultation

    Government of Yukon staff and contractors must follow the government’s Public Engagement Toolkit. Email ecoinfo@gov.yk.ca to find out more.

  • Crest (coat of arms)

    There are restrictions on the ways you can use the Yukon Coat of Arms (crest). Email queens.printer@gov.yk.ca to find out about these standards.

  • Crown

    When referring to public Yukon land, use “public land” rather than “Crown land” and “government corporations” rather than “Crown corporations”.

    Not: Crown land, Crown Land, crown land
    But: public land

    Not: Crown corporation, Crown Corporation, crown corporation
    But: government corporation

  • Dashes and hyphens

    Dashes and hyphens are easy to get mixed up. Dashes are longer than hyphens and have different uses. Hyphens are mostly used to connect two-part words.

    Not: She worked for a non–profit organization.
    But: She worked for a non-profit organization.

    We use dashes instead of commas and parentheses when we want to provide more emphasis.

    When the committee discovered the errors – all nine of them – they asked for a new draft.

               When you’re writing about a span or range of numbers, dates or time, use “to” rather than a dash.

    Not: Please read pages 11–17 in the report.
    But: Please read pages 11 to 17 in the report.

  • Dates

    Use a dash (not a hyphen) for overlapping, two-year spans.

    Not: 2016/17
    But: 2016–17

    Also use a dash for multiple-year spans.

    Not: 2016/19
    But: 2016–19

    Write months in full wherever you can and write "to" rather than using a dash between dates.

    Monday, August 14, 2017
    December 4 to 6
    December 2011

    When dates – including the month, day and year – appear in a sentence, put a comma after the year.

    January 1, 2017, was the first day the agreement came into effect.

  • Departments

    Also see department-specific spellings.

    Always consider writing “the Government of Yukon” rather than your department’s name. From the public’s point of view, the name of the department isn’t really of interest. What’s important is the program or service we’re offering.

    If you do need to refer to a specific department:

    Not: Energy, Mines and Resources department
    But: Energy, Mines and Resources, Department of Energy, Mines and Resources

    Not: Yukon Health and Social Services, Yukon Department of Highways and Public Works,
    But: Health and Social Services, Department of Health and Social Services, Highways and Public Works, Department of Highways and Public Works

    After the first full mention, just put “the department”.

    Using just “the Government of Yukon” is particularly handy when you’d otherwise have to list several departments. But if for some reason you do need to refer to more than one department:

    Not: the Departments of Environment, Justice, and Energy Mines and Resources
    But: Environment, Justice, and Energy, Mines and Resources, the departments Environment, Justice, and Energy Mines and Resources

    Don’t use informal names for departments, such as Environment Yukon and Yukon Education. If you’re writing about these departments, use the same name consistently so your reader doesn’t get confused and think there might be two different organizations.

    If you’re writing internal documents and can’t use the full names of departments and corporations for any reason, or can’t write “the department” or “the corporation,” use the following acronyms. Never use these acronyms in public materials. (Avoid using any acronyms in public materials unless the acronym is very well-known by your readers.)

    Community Services (CS)
    Economic Development (EcD)
    Education (EDU)
    Energy, Mines and Resources (EMR)
    Environment (ENV)
    Executive Council Office (ECO)
    Finance (FIN)
    French Language Services Directorate (FLS)
    Health and Social Services (HSS)
    Highways and Public Works (HPW)
    Justice (JUS)
    Public Service Commission (PSC)
    Tourism and Culture (TC)
    Women’s Directorate (WD)
    Yukon Energy Corporation (YEC)
    Yukon Development Corporation (YDC)
    Yukon Housing Corporation (YHC – but avoid confusion with the Yukon Hospital Corporation)
    Yukon Liquor Corporation (YLC)
    Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board (YWCHSB)
    Yukon Lottery Commission, Lotteries Yukon (LY)

  • Design

    With any product going out to the public, you need to consider design. Government products need to be as clear and accessible as possible and must look professional. Design is a skill and requires training.

    Government of Yukon staff should always work with your Communications Branch. Together, you may decide that hiring a professional graphic designer is the best option. Government staff can also email queens.printer@gov.yk to find out about their graphic design services for advertisements and the government's standing offer agreements with designers.

    10 tips for effective design

    1. Know who your audience is and design it for them. Be inclusive. Help your audiences find out what they need to know or do by organizing information clearly and using plain language.
    2. Create templates for your department’s or branch’s products. This saves time, maintains standards and helps people recognize your materials.
    3. Use a design grid (an underlying, consistent structure based on columns).
    4. Align design elements such as boxes, images, captions and columns.
    5. Use as few typefaces (fonts) as possible. One can be enough. Avoid Comic Sans as it never looks professional.
    6. Don’t use too many colours. Just one or two colours can be very effective as well as less costly to print.
    7. If you use photographs, make sure they are high quality and cropped. (Make sure you follow copyright rules too – the government’s Queen’s Printer and the Photography Unit both provide guidance.)
    8. Don’t be afraid of white space. Less is more when it comes to clutter.
    9. Always proofread. Get someone who hasn’t seen it before to take a look. Or read it yourself backwards, from the end to the beginning.
    10. Always include the Government of Yukon wordmark and follow the wordmark standards. Contact queens.printer@gov.yk.ca for a copy of the wordmark standards.
  • Division

    See unit, branch, division.

  • Engagement

    Government of Yukon staff and contractors must follow the government’s Public Engagement Toolkit for guidance. Email ecoinfo@gov.yk.ca to find out more. If you have a legal obligation to consult First Nations, email aboriginal.relations@gov.yk.ca for advice.

  • First Nations

    See Indigenous Peoples.

  • Flag

    There are restrictions on how you can use the Yukon flag. Email queens.printer@gov.yk.ca to find out about these standards.

  • Font (typeface)

    The font used in the Government of Yukon’s wordmark is Helvetica, so Helvetica and Helvetica Light are good fonts for designers to use in design products for consistency. Arial can work well with the wordmark too, from a design point of view.

  • Formal titles

    For titles of office or rank, use capitals (uppercase) for someone’s position as well as for their portfolio.

    Not: premier Jane Doe, minister Jane Doe, Tourism and Culture Minister Jane Doe, minister responsible for the Women’s Directorate Jane Doe
    But: Premier Jane Doe, Minister Jane Doe, Minister of Tourism and Culture Jane Doe, Minister responsible for the Women’s Directorate Jane Doe

    Not: chief Jane Doe, mayor Jane Doe, dr. Jane Doe
    But: Chief Jane Doe, Mayor Jane Doe, Dr. Jane Doe

    If you’re writing about Premiers and Ministers in a generic way without referring to specific individuals, use uppercase.

    Not: The premiers, ministers and chiefs will meet tomorrow with the prime minister
    But: The Premiers, Ministers and Chiefs will meet tomorrow with the Prime Minister

    Not: A prime minister, premier and a commissioner have very different roles
    But: A Prime Minister, Premier and a Commissioner have very different roles

    Write “former” and “acting” and so on in lowercase.

    Not: Acting Deputy Minister Jane Doe, Former Mayor John Doe, Former Commissioner Jane Doe
    But: acting Deputy Minister Jane Doe, former Mayor John Doe, former Commissioner Jane Doe

    When you’re referring to a Minister’s portfolio or a Chief’s First Nation, put the portfolio or First Nation first and don’t use a comma.

    Not: Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources, Jane Doe, Champagne and Aishihik First Nations chief, Jane Doe
    But: Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources Jane Doe, Champagne and Aishihik First Nations Chief Jane Doe

    If you’re referring to a Minister who has more than one department and one or more of the departments have “and” in their name, use a comma to separate the departments.

    Minister of Energy, Mines and Resources, and Highways and Public Works Jane Doe.

    The title “Honourable” isn’t generally used in the Government of Yukon but may sometimes be used in joint news releases, if it’s another government’s preference.

    Not: Hon. Minister, honorable minister
    But: the Honourable Jane Brown, Minister of Justice

    When federal Ministers are referred to as “the Honourable,” extend the same courtesy to territorial and provincial Ministers.

    Minister of Education the Honourable Jane Doe said today…

    If you’d like more guidance about formal titles than we’ve included here, refer to The Canadian Style. (However, note that the guidance here takes priority over what you’ll find in The Canadian Style so make sure you read this first.)

    You might also find useful guidance under job titles.

  • Forms

    All Government of Yukon forms must be created, designed, coordinated, documented, printed, published and managed by the Queen’s Printer. Email queens.printer@gov.yk.ca for guidance.

  • French

    Government of Yukon staff should email info.dsf-flsd@gov.yk.ca for all French translation needs.

    There are some variations in style between English and French because the two languages have different rules and approaches.

  • Government of Canada

    Not: the government of Canada, the Federal Government
    But: the Government of Canada, the federal government

  • Government of Yukon

    Our preferred, formal name is the Government of Yukon and our informal name is the Yukon government (with a small “g”). Use “the” when you are writing our name in a sentence. Use our formal name for public materials.

    Not: the Yukon Government, Yukon Government, Yukon government, Yukon Territorial Government, the government of Yukon
    But: the Government of Yukon, the Yukon government

    Avoid using just “Yukon” when you mean the Yukon government. There are many governments in Yukon so you can’t assume your reader will know whether you’re talking about the Government of Yukon specifically or all governments in Yukon collectively. (Only write “Yukon” when you’re referring to the territory itself.)

    When you’re referring to more than one government or organization, give each one its formal name so that they’re given parallel treatment.

    The Government of Canada, the Government of Yukon and the City of Whitehorse signed the memorandum of understanding.

    Never use an acronym for the Government of Yukon in public materials. Write the full name or, for example, just write “the government” or “we.” If you need to use an acronym internally, most staff use YG.

    Not: YTG, Yg
    But: YG (internally only)

    Also see territory.

  • Headings

    Use lowercase for headings if you can, as this makes them easier to read. (This style is called sentence case.)

    Not: Where to Buy an Emergency Kit
    But: Where to buy an emergency kit

  • He/she

    Not: he/she
    But: they

    Also see how to write inclusively.

  • Hyphens

    See dashes and hyphens.

  • Indigenous Peoples

    Aboriginal Peoples and Indigenous Peoples

    We use the words “Aboriginal” and “Indigenous” interchangeably and we always write them in uppercase. Nationally, the trend is to use “Indigenous” rather than “Aboriginal” so expect to find yourself to be using “Indigenous” more often.

    First Nations spellings

    Here’s how to spell Yukon First Nations’ names. While we list the acronyms here as well, don’t use them unless you have to. Use the full names or just write “the First Nation” once you have established which First Nation you’re referring to.

    Note that some First Nations governments use a plural for “Nations” in their name and others don’t.

    For terminology specific to consultation with First Nations, contact aboriginal.relations@gov.yk.ca.

    Some First Nation government names contain umlauts. For example, the “u” in Kwanlin Dün First Nation and the “e” in Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in. To access these symbols either go to “insert” then “symbol” in Word or use the umlaut keyboard codes listed below. (Use the number pad rather than the numbers above the letters on your keyboard. To activate the numeric key pad press “num lock” on the upper right of the key pad.)

    ä Alt+0228
    ë Alt+137
    ï Alt+139
    ü Alt+129

    Yukon First Nations

    • Council of Yukon First Nations (CYFN)
    • Carcross/Tagish First Nation (C/TFN)
    • Champagne and Aishihik First Nations (CAFN)
    • Kluane First Nation (KFN)
    • Kwanlin Dün First Nation (KDFN)
    • Liard First Nation (LFN)
    • Little Salmon/Carmacks First Nation (LSCFN)
    • First Nation of Na-Cho Nyäk Dun (FNNND)
    • Ross River Dena Council (RRDC)
    • Selkirk First Nation (SFN
    • T a’an Kwäch’än Council (TKC)
    • Teslin Tlingit Council (TTC)
    • Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in (TH)
    • Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation (VGFN)
    • White River First Nation (WRFN)

    Spellings Phonetics Community
    Carcross/Tagish First Nation (C/TFN) CAR-cross TAG-ish Carcross
    Champagne and Aishihik First Nations (CAFN) CHAM-pain and EH-she-ack Haines Junction
    Kluane First Nation (KFN) clue-AH-nee Burwash Landing
    Kwanlin Dün First Nation (KDFN) QUAN-lin done Whitehorse
    Liard First Nation (LFN) lee-ARD Watson Lake
    Little Salmon/Carmacks First Nation (LSCFN) little salmon CAR-max Carmacks
    First Nation of Na-Cho Nyäk Dun (FNNND) NA-cho nye-ack DONE Mayo
    Ross River Dena Council (RRDC) ross River DEN-a Ross River
    Selkirk First Nation (SFN) SELL-kirk Pelly Crossing
    Ta’an Kwäch’än Council (TKC) ta-on QUAA-chaan Whitehorse
    Teslin Tlingit Council (TTC) tes-lin KLING-kit Teslin
    Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in (TH) tron-DEK WITCH-in Dawson
    Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation (VGFN) vun-TUT GWITCH-in Old Crow
    White River First Nation (WRFN) White River Beaver Creek

    Transboundary First Nations and Inuvialuit

    • Dene/Métis of the Northwest Territories (includes Acho Dene Koe First Nation)
    • Gwich’in Tribal Council (GTC)
    • Tetlit Gwich’in Council (TGC)
    • Inuvialuit
    • Kaska Dena Council (KDC) which represents Daylu Dena Council, Dease River First Nation, Kwadacha First Nation
    • Taku River Tlingit First Nation (TRTFN)
    • Tahltan Central Council (TCC)

    How to write commonly-used Indigenous-related words and phrases:

    • Aboriginal
    • Aboriginal Peoples, Aboriginal people
    • Aboriginal rights
    • asserted traditional territory of non-settled Yukon and transboundary First Nations – for advice about how to refer to an asserted traditional territory in consultation letters, on maps, in speaking notes, etc., contact aboriginal.relations@gov.yk.ca.
    • beneficiary
    • Citizen (when referring to Citizens of a First Nation)
    • Elder and Elders
    • Final Agreement
    • Final and Self-Government Agreements
    • First Nation (when you’re referring to one First Nation)
    • First Nations (when you’re referring to more than one First Nation)
    • First Nation Citizen
    • First Nations Citizen (when you’re referring to Citizens from more than one First Nation)
    • First Nation government
    • First Nations governments (when you’re referring to more than one First Nation)
    • Gwitchin (when writing about people from Old Crow, Yukon)
    • Gwich’in language
    • Gwich’in, Gwich’in Peoples (when writing about the whole nation or Gwich’in peoples from Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Alaska)
    • Indigenous, Indigenous Peoples, Indigenous people
    • interim protected lands not Interim Protected Lands
    • Inuk (singular), Inuit (plural)
    • Inuvialuit Settlement Region
    • Member (of a First Nation)
    • Métis not Metis
    • non-First Nations
    • non-Indigenous people
    • non-settled First Nation (not unsettled First Nation)
    • Northern Tutchone
    • Self-Government Agreement
    • self-government, self-governing
    • Settlement Land
    • Southern Tutchone
    • traditional knowledge
    • Traditional Territory or Traditional Territories (when you’re writing about the specific traditional territory of settled Yukon First Nations)
    • traditional territory, traditional territories (when you’re writing in general about traditional territories)
      • asserted traditional territory of non-settled Yukon and transboundary First Nations – for advice about how to refer to an asserted traditional territory in consultation letters, on maps, in speaking notes, etc., email aboriginal.relations@gov.yk.ca.
    • transboundary First Nation
    • treaty right not Treaty right
    • Umbrella Final Agreement
    • Vuntut Gwitchin (also see Gwichin and Gwich’in)
    • Yukon First Nations or First Nations, avoid “our First Nations” or “Yukon’s First Nations”

    Are you writing speaking notes?

    When you organize an event, you should always acknowledge the traditional territory on which an event is taking place. Make sure this acknowledgement is in the speaking notes.

  • Internet and digital terms
    • cyberspace
    • cyber-bullying
    • e-commerce
    • email
    • e-waste
    • Facebook
    • hashtag
    • home page
    • Instagram
    • internet
    • intranet
    • livestream
    • open data
    • selfie
    • SharePoint
    • the web
    • tweet
    • Twitter
    • web
    • web page
    • website
  • ISBNs and ISSNs

    International Standard Book Numbers (ISBNs) are used to identify one-off, text-based products such as books, DVDs and maps.

    International Standard Serial Numbers (ISSNs) are used to identify text-based serial publications such as annual reports and newsletters.

    At the Government of Yukon, you are more likely to need an ISSN than an ISBN. Sometimes a publication you are working on will already have an ISSN number from previous editions.

    Contact queens.printer@gov.yk.ca to obtain a number.

    On printed materials, the preferred place to put an ISSN is the upper right-hand corner of the cover. Always put the letters ISSN before the number.

    Other good locations for the ISSN are the masthead area, the copyright page or in the publishing statement.

    On non-printed materials, such as a DVD, try to put the ISSN on the packaging as well on an electronic page.

    If a publication has both an ISSN and an ISBN, then print both numbers.

    Find out more about ISSNs and ISBNs.

  • Job titles

    For job titles, use lowercase as much as possible, particularly in public materials as capital letters are harder to read. In reports or in business documents for internal government audiences, you may prefer to use uppercase. Whatever you decide, use a consistent style within one document and related documents.

    You might also find useful guidance under formal titles.

  • Latin names

    link to Department-specific spellings/Environment

  • Legislative Assembly, Legislature

    Not: Yukon legislative assembly, legislative assembly
    But: Yukon Legislative Assembly, Legislative Assembly

    Not: legislature
    But: Legislature

    The Legislature is not another word for Legislative Assembly. The Legislative Assembly comprises the elected MLAs, while the Legislature comprises the elected MLAs and the commissioner.

    For more information about Legislative Assembly and Parliamentary procedures, visit Yukon Legislative Assembly.

    Not: members of the legislative assembly
    But: Members of the Legislative Assembly, MLAs

  • Logos

    You must use the Government of Yukon logo on all public communications and marketing materials and follow the brand standards.

    When there’s more than one logo in a design, the Government of Yukon logo should be positioned on the left. However, if the federal government logo is also displayed, the federal government logo goes on the left with the Government of Yukon logo on the right. Logos must appear to be of equal size and prominence visually. Only use the French version of the logo for French materials and the bilingual logo only for bilingual materials. 

    Contact queens.printer@gov.yk.ca for questions about the Government of Yukon's visual identity.

  • Management Board

    Not: Management board, management board, Management Board Submission
    But: Management Board, Management Board submission

  • Members

    Not: members of the legislative assembly, member of parliament, member of the senate
    But: Members of the Legislative Assembly, MLAs, Member of Parliament, MP, Member of the Senate

  • Ministers

    See formal titles.

  • Ministerial Order

    Not: ministerial order (except when you’re referring to ministerial orders generally)
    But: Ministerial Order (when you’re referring to a specific Ministerial Order)

  • Misspelled words

    Here some words we sometimes spell incorrectly.

    • council (as in city, or the Executive Council Office) and counsel (as in Crown, or the Legislative Counsel Office)
    • councillor (as in city)
    • counsellor (a person who gives guidance)
    • palette as in “colour palette” (not “pallet” unless you mean a platform for moving things, or a “palate” as in the roof of your mouth)
    • practice (noun), doctor's practice
    • practise (verb), licensed to practise
    • publicly (not publically)
  • Misused words

    Here are some words we sometimes use incorrectly. For more information about these common errors and other guidance, visit Grammar Girl. (It’s an American site but much of the guidance still applies.)

    • ​among and between (gen​​erally speaking, use “between” for specific, one-to-one relationships and “among” for less defined, collective relationships)cement and concrete (concrete is the mixture; cement is an ingredient of concrete)
    • comprised (don’t add “of” to “comprised”, e.g., “the committee comprises six members”)
    • English and French (always write them with capital letters at the beginning, in all instances)
    • fewer and less (use “fewer” for things you can count one by one, “less” for things you can’t count individually)
    • fulsome (“fulsome” means excessive and offensive to good taste; it doesn’t have positive connotations)
    • linkages and links (keep things simple and use “links” unless you specifically mean a system of links or linking different issues in political negotiations)
    • podium and lectern (a podium is what you stand on and a lectern is what you stand behind)
    • reactionary (“reactionary” means extremely conservative, resisting change; it doesn’t mean “reactive”)
    • unveil (only use “unveil” when something is literally going to be unveiled, for example, at an event)​
  • Northwest Territories

    Not: Northwest Territories, N.W.T.
    But: the Northwest Territories, the NWT

  • Numbers

    The Government of Yukon takes a flexible approach to the style for writing numbers. It depends what you’re writing and who’s reading it.

    When you’re writing for printed materials, write numbers one to nine in letters and 10 and above in digits.

    When you’re writing for the web, it’s common practice to use digits for all numbers.

    When you’re writing for technical and scientific reports, write all numbers as digits so that they are visible, distinct, clear and precise.

    Whatever approach you choose, make sure you’re consistent. 

    Include a comma in numbers of 1,000 and above.

    Not: 2000
    But: 2,000

    Not: 911
    But: 9-1-1

    If you can’t rearrange a sentence to avoid starting with a number, write it in letters.

    Not: 19 organizations responded to the survey.
    But: Nineteen organizations responded to the survey.

  • Order-in-Council

    Write in full and don’t use the acronym (OIC) in any public materials.

  • Outside

    Yukoners tend to use the word “outside” when referring to anywhere that’s not within Yukon. This can come across as insular, depending on your reader.

    Not: Outside
    But: outside

  • Page numbers

    Keep page numbers as simple as possible.

    Not: p4, p.4
    But: 4, page four, page 4

    Consider helping your reader find their way around a document by including section or chapter headings in the footer.

  • Periods

    Put one space after a period, not two.

    Always put a period at the end of a sentence when it ends with an email or web address (but not when it isn’t a sentence).

    Not: Learn more at www.gov.yk.ca
    But: Learn more at www.gov.yk.ca.

    Not: For more information: www.gov.yk.ca.
    But: For more information: www.gov.yk.ca

  • Photographs and videos

    For detailed advice about acquiring, using and crediting photographs and videos, contact the Photography Unit. This includes multimedia releases, templates for licensing and commissioning multimedia, and a list of local producers.

  • Platform

    See commitment.

  • Precedence (table of precedence)

    Use this order when you are writing news releases or speaking notes or organizing events.

    • Prime Minister of Canada
    • Commissioner of Yukon
    • Premier of Yukon
    • federal Cabinet members
    • Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of Yukon
    • Justice of the Supreme Court
    • Government of Yukon Cabinet members
    • Yukon Leader of the Opposition
    • Yukon Members of the Legislative Assembly, listed by date elected
    • Yukon Member of Parliament
    • Yukon Senator
    • Yukon First Nations Chiefs and Council of Yukon First Nations
    • Bishops of Roman Catholic and Anglican faiths (in the order of their appointment)
    • RCMP Divisional Commander
    • Armed Forces Commander
    • Territorial Court Judges
    • Mayors
    • Government of Yukon Deputy Ministers and officials with equivalent status, listed by the date they were appointed
    • Presidents, Executive Directors of non-governmental organizations
  • Public engagement

    Government of Yukon staff and contractors should use the Public Engagement Toolkit for guidance on involving the public and stakeholders in your project. Email ecoinfo@gov.yk.ca if you have questions about the toolkit.

    If you have a legal obligation to consult First Nations, email aboriginal.relations@gov.yk.ca for advice.

  • Public participation

    See public engagement.

  • Regulations

    See acts and regulations.

  • Spacing

    See periods.

  • Spellings

    Not: color, neighbor, favor, counselor, traveler, panelist, focussed
    But: colour, neighbour, favour, counsellor, traveller, panellist, focused

    Not: license (noun), defense, organise
    But: licence (noun), license (verb), defence, organize

    You can set your computer to Canadian spellings. If you’re not sure how to do this you can get help from your ICT support team – email service.desk@gov.yk.ca.

    Words we commonly use:

    • advisor (but use "adviser" when you're referring to someone who has the necessary credentials under the Securities Act to advise people on investments and buying or selling securities)
    • barrier-free
    • B&B
    • campgrounds (campgrounds have individual campsites)
    • can-can
    • CBC Yukon
    • Colourful Five Percent (use “percent” only when referring to Jim Robb's work otherwise use “per cent”)
    • communications strategy (not communication strategy)
    • cooperate (not co-operate)
    • decision making, decision makers, decision-making process, a decision-making body
    • driver’s licence
    • follow up (verb) or follow-up (adjective), (not followup)
    • gold rush (generic term), Klondike Gold Rush (specific)
    • groundwater (not ground water)
    • health care (noun) health-care (adjective), never healthcare
    • Klondike, Klondikers
    • Klondike Gold Rush
    • licence (noun), motor vehicle licence
    • license (verb), licensed to operate
    • long term care home
    • memorandum of understanding
    • metre (meter, if referring to the machine)
    • Métis
    • mould not mold
    • north (direction)
    • North (region)
    • northerner (not Northerner)
    • north of 60
    • outside not Outside (as in outside Yukon)
    • practice (noun), doctor’s practice
    • practise (verb), licensed to practice
    • request for proposal
    • roundtable
    • toll-free
    • wastewater (not waste water)
    • wellbeing (not well-being)
    • Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Act
    • Yukoner

    Associations and non-government organizations:

    • Association franco-yukonnaise (l’AFY)
    • Boys and Girls Club
    • Empowering Youth Society (BYTE), formerly Bringing Youth Towards Equality
    • Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS)
    • Committee on Abuse in Residential Schools (CAIRS)
    • Dawson City Arts Society
    • Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Society Yukon (FASSY)
    • Gwaandak Theatre Society
    • Kaushee’s Place
    • KIAC School of Visual Arts now Yukon School of Visual Arts
    • Klondike Institute of Art and Culture, KIAC
    • Klondike Visitors Association (KVA) (note no apostrophe on the s)
    • Learning Disabilities Association of Yukon (LDAY)
    • Leaping Feats Creative Danceworks studio, Leaping Feats
    • Les EssentiElles
    • Liard Aboriginal Women’s Society (LAWS)
    • MacBride Museum
    • Nakai Theatre
    • Northern Lights School of Dance (NLSD)
    • Society of Yukon Artists of Native Ancestry (SYANA)
    • Teegatha'Oh Zheh
    • TIA Yukon (Tourism Industry Association of the Yukon)
    • Victoria Faulkner Women's Centre
    • Yukon Aboriginal Women’s Council
    • Yukon Arts Fund
    • Yukon Art Society (YAS), Yukon Art Society Gallery (Arts Underground)
    • Yukon Artists @ Work (YAAW)
    • Yukon International Storytelling Festival
    • Yukon Historical & Museums Association
    • Yukon Outfitters’ Association
    • Yukon Women’s Transition Home Society (an entity of Kaushee’s)
    • Yukon Writers’ Festival


    • däna Näye Ventures (note lowercase d)
    • Gray Line Yukon
    • Greyhound Canada
    • Hougen Centre, Hougen’s Sportslodge
    • Jacob’s Industries but Paul Jacobs
    • Inkspirationz Graphix
    • Klondyke Dental Clinic
    • Klondyke Medical Clinic
    • Integra Tire (formerly Yukon Tire)
    • Integraphics Ltd.
    • Lackowicz, Shier & Hoffman
    • Mac’s Fireweed Books
    • McCrae Service
    • Northwestel (not NorthwesTel)
    • Pine Medical Center (American spelling)
    • Super A Foods
    • The Real Canadian Superstore (Just “Superstore” on subsequent references).
    • ATCO Electric Yukon
    • Triple J’s Music


    • Kidz Kreate
    • Spruce Bog
    • Yukon Sourdough Rendezvous

    Facilities and buildings:

    • Canada Games Centre
    • Copper Ridge Place
    • Da Kų Cultural Centre
    • Dredge No. 4
    • École Émilie-Tremblay
    • École Whitehorse Elementary School
    • Guild Hall
    • Lion’s Aquatic Centre
    • Norman D. Macaulay Lodge
    • Mae Bachur Animal Shelter
    • Odd Gallery, Odd Fellows Hall
    • S.S. Klondike
    • Swan Haven Interpretation Centre
    • Takhini Hot Springs
    • The Old Fire Hall
    • Thomson Centre
    • Tombstone Interpretive Centre
    • Yukon Arts Centre
    • Yukon Beringia Interpretive Centre
    • Yukon College (Ayamdigut Campus in Whitehorse)


    • City of Whitehorse (use uppercase when you’re writing just “City” and referring to the municipality informally, for instance, “the Yukon government and the City agreed today…”)
    • City of Dawson (preferred by the City of Dawson)
    • Town of Watson Lake
    • Village of Carmacks

    Place names:

    • ANWR (Arctic National Wildlife Refuge)
    • Arctic Circle, the Arctic, but arctic wildflowers
    • Bonnet Plume River (Tsaih Tl’ak Njik)
    • Dempster Highway
    • Dawson (official geographical name, City of Dawson for the municipality)
    • Dezadeash Lake
    • Eagle Plain (basin for oil and gas development)
    • Eagle Plains Hotel (on the Dempster Highway)
    • Ethel Lake (Takwä́ntʼye)
    • Frances Lake
    • Canyon Mountain (locally known as Grey Mountain)
    • Hot Springs Road
    • Lake Laberge
    • Macmillan River
    • M’Clintock River
    • MacRae Industrial Area (known locally as McCrae Industrial Area)
    • Mount McIntyre
    • Nałasìn River (Nisutlin River)
    • Peel watershed
    • Takhini Hot Springs
    • Tetlʼámǟn (Tatlmain Lake)
    • Wellesley Lake
    • Whistle Bend subdivision


    National and territorial parks and protected areas:
    (*awaiting designation)

    • Agay Mene Territorial Park*
    • Asi Keyi Territorial Park*
    • Coal River Springs Territorial Park
    • Ddhaw Ghro Habitat Protection Area*
    • Devil’s Elbow and Big Island Habitat Protection Areas
    • Herschel Island - Qikiqtaruk Territorial Park
    • Horseshoe Slough Habitat Protection Area
    • Ivvavik National Park
    • Kluane National Park and Reserve
    • Kusawa Territorial Park*
    • Lewes Marsh Habitat Protection Area
    • Łútsäw Wetland Habitat Protection Area
    • Ni’iinlii Njik (Fishing Branch) Habitat Protection Area
    • Ni’iinlii Njik (Fishing Branch) Territorial Park
    • Nisutlin River Delta National Wildlife Area
    • Tsâwnjik Chu (Nordenskiold) Habitat Protection Area
    • Old Crow Flats Habitat Protection Area
    • Pickhandle Lakes Habitat Protection Area*
    • Ta’Tla Mun Habitat Protection Area
    • Tagish Narrows Habitat Protection Area
    • Tombstone Territorial Park
    • Vuntut National Park
    • Whitefish Wetland Habitat Protection Area*

    Department-specific spellings
    Departments sometimes have their own specialist language and phrases. If this is the case in your department, see if your department has an approved list of spellings or a style sheet. If it does, email this list to ecoinfo@gov.yk.ca and we’ll add it to this guide as a resource for everyone.

    Economic Development:

    Community Development Fund (CDF)
    Film & Sound Commission (not Film and Sound Commission)

    Energy, Mines and Resources:

    Not: EM and R, EM&R, E.M.R.
    But: EMR

    Not: Energy, Mines, and Resources
    But: Energy, Mines and Resources

    • use "oil and gas", as in "oil and gas wells" or "oil and gas companies" ("oil and gas" is the industry standard for "oil well or company", "gas well or company", "oil or gas well" or "oil or gas company")



    When you use Latin names, include both the genus and species name, such as Ursus americanus and italicize both words. Only put the first word (the genus name) in capitals.

    When you write species’ names, write them in lowercase, unless a proper noun forms part of their name, such as Dall’s sheep.

    For more detailed advice, email envweb@gov.yk.ca.

    • black bear, black bears (plural)
    • collared pika, collared pikas (plural)
    • Dall’s sheep
    • grizzly bear, grizzly bears (plural)
    • tundra swan, tundra swans (plural)
    • lake trout (singular and plural)
    • human-wildlife conflict
    • Leave No Trace (but no-trace practices)
    • Porcupine caribou herd but Porcupine Caribou Harvest Management Plan
    • RV dump station
    • Ursus americanus

    Note that the Department of Environment may capitalize species’ names in materials intended for educating people about wildlife. For example, the Wildlife Viewing Program capitalizes species’ names in a number of their educational publications to help readers distinguish between species, such as Black Bear, so that it’s clear that a Black Bear is a species of bear, not necessarily a bear that is black. These materials are published with a small note providing this explanation.

    French Language Services Directorate:

    Not: Bureau of French Language Services
    But: French Language Services Directorate

    Health and Social Services:

    Not: Health & Social Services
    But: Health and Social Services

    Highways and Public Works:

    Not: Highways & Public Works
    But: Highways and Public Works

    Tourism and Culture:

    artists- and writers-in-residence
    Cultural Industry Training Fund

    Not: Department of Tourism & Culture
    But: Department of Tourism and Culture

  • advisor (but use "adviser" when you're referring to someone who has the necessary credentials under the Securities Act to advise people on investments and buying or selling securities)Telephone numbers

    Use hyphens and no brackets.

    Not: (867) 633-2949
    But: 867-633-7949, call toll-free 1-800-661-0408, extension 7949

  • Territory

    While Yukon is a territory constitutionally, our preference is to refer to simply “Yukon” rather than “the Yukon territory.” This helps to reflect the devolution process that took place in 2003 when the Government of Yukon gained direct control over a much wider variety of provincial-type programs, responsibilities and powers.

    Not: Yukon Territory, the Territory
    But: Yukon, the territory

    Also see Yukon.

  • Times

    Not: 10:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
    But: 10 a.m., 10:15 a.m., 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.

  • Titles

    Also see job titles and formal titles.

    Capitalize the titles of Government of Yukon reports, strategies and plans once they have been approved and published (whether publicly or internally). Only capitalize the nouns and verbs (this style is called title case). Don’t use italics or quotation marks.

    Climate Change Action Plan
    Energy Strategy for Yukon

    If “Government of Yukon” forms part of the title, remember to write the “Government of Yukon”, not the “Yukon government” or the “Yukon Government.”

    Capitalize the nouns and verbs in titles of books, songs and theatre productions. Also put these titles in italics.

    Gone with the Wind
    The Taming of the Shrew

    If the words in a title are hyphenated, capitalize both words.

    The Well-Brought Up Child
    The Six-Fingered Ape

    Use title case for campaign titles and slogans but not italics or quotation marks.

    Not: stop pushing or Stop Pushing or ‘Stop Pushing’ or “Stop Pushing”
    But: Stop Pushing

    If a publication is in the planning phase and hasn’t yet been published or given a definite title, put it in lowercase. Once it is published, you can write it in title case.

    Not: We will publish a Poverty Reduction Strategy in the spring
    But: We will publish a poverty reduction strategy in the spring

  • Unit, branch, division

    Use uppercase when you write the full name of a unit, branch or division.

    Not: Communications unit, Land Management branch, Motor Vehicles division
    But: Communications Unit, Land Management Branch, Motor Vehicles Division

    Use lowercase when you are not using the full name of a unit, branch, division or department.

    Not: the Unit, the Branch, the Division
    But: the unit, the branch, the division

    Try to refer to the Government of Yukon rather than your department or unit, branch or division. But if you need to refer to a department, write “Highways and Public Works’ Motor Vehicles Division.”

  • Yukon

    While many of us say “the Yukon” in conversation and in informal correspondence, when writing for publication use only “Yukon.”

    Not: the Yukon
    But: Yukon

    Also see territory.

Last update:
Dec 11, 2019